Sunday, August 17, 2003

Independence !!

Unusually for the past couple of years, Independence days no longer remind me of cliched speeches and practically useless one-day stunts...I've been to three independence day cultural fests organised wholly by students here at my univ.... and every time they sing Vande mataram at the end of the show...goose bumps run over my body...for a moment or two I'm too proud to be an Indian...This weekend too was quite amazing....the Indian community has swelled over the last couple of years and I had invited my professor to the show and he had inadvertently exposed in me a lot of ignorant facts abt India....For us Indians, ppl speaking abt different cultures and all the ga-ga abt Unity in Diversity may seem so boring having heard the same blah-blah for sooooooo long...but to him it was so startling to find that so many languages did exist in a comparitively small country.....the show was the usual mix of culture and masala as in the movies...but it was fun...the hooting, the whistling and the booing...it cud be the one of the last get-togethers I cud have have with my friends as most of them are graduating...it feels kinda poignant...atleast Independence days no longer mean stupid film actresses' interviews on umpteen channels..b4 i sign off this is the best of the fwds I get for this Independence day!...should rekindle a lot of memories in u ...particularly if ur used to going to the movies close to a decade or so...Movie